Sunday 31 August 2014

No Distractions - Why I Got Rid Of My Smart Phone

I got rid of my smart phone recently.



I had an Android phone for a few years and I took the plunge and demoted myself down to a simple flip-phone. It still has the only app I ever really cared about from my Android days: the music player.



The drop down to a "stupid" phone, as some people call them, was for a simple reason: to cut out distractions. I have cut out other distractions from my life recently as well. TV shows, video games, stuff I don't need.... Most people haven't even commented on the fact that I have a simple phone now. I think they may be too involved with their own smartphones to even notice.


Without a smartphone, I find myself less distracted. I can more easily focus my time and my day on what I really want to do. What really matters. I have more time to exercise, to write, to be fully in the moment during a conversation with friends and loved ones. How many times have you talked with someone and they paid more attention to the latest Facebook updates on their phone? There are so many things that we can do with smart phones now that it can easily take up all your time. Why not cut out the unnecessary bells and whistles and live a life of meaningful choices?