Monday 29 December 2014

Wash Your Bowl

I haven't talked a lot about Zen on this blog even though it is in the title. I don't know a whole lot about the concept or the practice of Zen but I still find it fascinating. It is one of those words that everyone hears and throws around when referring to peace and calmness, but I wasn't truly introduced to Zen in the Buddhist sense until I started listening to Alan Watts's lectures.



You can listen to the complete Essential Lectures of Watts from his Out Of Your Mind series by clicking here.

Now, I am far from being enlightened or full of Zen or whatever, but I find the concepts fascinating and that many of the ideas benefit my life. There is a famous Zen story that goes something like this, which I first heard through Alan Watts. 



A monk told Joshu, "I have just entered the monastery. Please teach me."
Joshu asked, "Have you eaten your rice porridge?"
The monk replied, "I have eaten."
Joshu said, "Then you had better wash your bowl."
At that moment the monk was enlightened.

Since learning about Zen and mindfulness, I find myself devoting my mind more wholly to the present task. To focusing on the task at hand. I am certainly not perfect at it, but I feel like it has definitely benefited me. Thinking about the Zen story above, I have really changed my attitude toward doing dishes, to "washing my bowl". When I do the dishes now I focus on it and I only do that. I find just being present with the dishes and enjoying the small details of my dishes a humbling and meditative experience. I grow more appreciative of their simple beauty. I wrote a while ago how classical music helps me appreciate the beauty of the world. Well, it is the same thing with fully allowing myself to be with the dishes. To pay attention to the texture of the sponge, the shape of the bowl, the temperature of the water. Beauty is in the details.

PS: Not only does doing my dishes keep my mind calm, it also means having a cleaner living space.There is something peaceful in having a tidy home that lends to Zen as well. Simplicity is the heart of Zen and minimalism.