Wednesday 11 March 2015

Exercise

Exercise is an important part of staying healthy. But that doesn't mean I have to do it all the time.

Like anything, it is best to take it in moderation. My physical health is important to me, but I don't want to use up too much of my time devoting to going to the gym. So most of the time I do simple body-weight exercises at home, and in spring I plan on doing a lot of running.

I spend about 15 to 20 minutes doing a workout every morning (or I at least aim to do it every morning. Sometimes I fail).

    I usually do three sets of ten push-ups.
    Three sets of ten leg lifts.
    Three sets of ten tuck jumps (a jumping variation of squats).
    Three sets of ten crunches or V-ups.
    Three sets of twenty second mountain-climbers.
    Sometimes I will end with thirty seconds of planking.
    Lunges are good too.
   I also do a few sets of pull-ups on a chin-up bar when one is available (thankfully, there is one at my work - I usually do four or six sets of eight a day).
    I also do a lot of stretching (I love stretching out my joints and muscles, maybe do a few yoga poses).


The main point is that I do exercises that I find fun. I enjoy doing these exercises. I stay mindful of my body while I workout. I don't listen to music or do my taxes at the same time. I be present in the moment and feel my bodily sensations.

I felt really inspired after reading Joshua Millburn's post on 18 Minute Minimalist Exercises. His writing showed me that I don't need to go to the gym for an hour every day to be in great shape. My goal in exercising regularly isn't to get buff or look good. The goal is to feel good. To feel good in my own body.

I have been kind of slacking on the exercise routine, but the rest of this week I am going to really nail my goal of getting up in the morning on time and giving myself a good workout. Honestly, my day starts off so much better when I do. Hopefully, I will be in good enough shape to run a marathon this year! Stay posted for that in the future.

If you want some ideas for exercises you can do at home, here is a great link for 50 Great Body-Weight Exercises You Can Do Anywhere.